I fully sympathise with Zoe's rant, and although I agree that the issue
of graduates finding out about pre-course jobs is important, that is not
what struck me as the main point of her message.  What I find far more
worrying is the very real fact that most people coming into the
profession are now looking at 5 years 'training' - 3 undergraduate, 1
work experience and 1 postgrad, and in a world where student debt is a
fact of life, I'm not sure that this is helpful.  Furthermore, at the
end of that 5 years, you're not even going to get a terribly good
salary.  Much as teachers, for example, may bemoan their lot, most of
them are paid more than most archivists.  You can get help financial
help towards teacher training, and it doesn't take as long to become a
qualified teacher.
I know this all sounds very bitter (I had an horrendous day yesterday).
I am normally very enthusiastic about my job, but I think that these are
issues which need to be addressed if we do want to attract more people
to the profession.  At a time when we are all under increasing pressure,
I don't think we can go on relying on the fact that archivists love
their work - and this is from someone who decided that she wanted to be
an archivist at the age of 15 (don't ask).
Rant over,
Maria Sienkiewicz

the system manager.

www.oldham.gov.uk