As part of a project towards a Certificate in Management, I am undertaking a
study of the need for a records management system within Rotherham MBC.  I
hope to be able to use the final project report to persuade the Council that
it is high time that it took records management seriously and introduced a
properly staffed and funded RM system.

To this end, I would be grateful if colleagues within record offices who
provide a records management for their authority could provide me (off list)
with brief details of the service they provide.  In formation that would be
useful would include :-

Is use of the RM service compulsory or does the record office have to sell
its advantages to council departments?;
Has there been any resistance within the authority to the use of RM?;
What software is used to control the system?;
What is the approximate bulk of the records management holdings?:
Are departments charged for using the service and if so on what basis (a
flat annual charge, per box, per shelf etc)?;
Are RM holdings stored on site at the record office or in a remote store?

I would also be interested to here from any record office that has been
involved in their authority's response to the Freedom of Information
legislation.

Any information, however, small will be most gratefully received.

Tony Munford
Manager, Archives & Local Studies
Central Library
Walker Place