Peter King wrote:

> There is evidence of medieval iron
> smelting in Northamptonshire in the 11th century and then nothing until
> after 1850.  No one has provided any satisfactory explanation as to why.
> >From what I know of the history of iron industry in the early modern period,
> there is no reason why a Northamptonshire industry should not have
> developed,  assuming this landlocked county could provide a couple of
> thousand acres of coppices for fuel.

I'd like to point out that there is indeed evidence for iron production
in Northamptonshire in medieval times, especially in and around
Rockingham Forest. You may wish to have a look at the East Midlands
Archaeological Research Framework (medieval; Northants), developed at
Leicester University in collaboration with local authorities:
http://www.le.ac.uk/archaeology/east_midlands_research_framework.htm
Results of ongoing fieldwork are just emerging but it is clear that
there are
further medieval sites in South Lincolnshire, making use of a similar
geology. There are significant limestone deposits in Northamptonshire
(though not as extensive as e.g. around Lincoln), outlined for example
in the BGS memoirs of the region. The comparative decline - as one still
assumes - of iron production in the East Midlands in medieval times may
be due to a sensible reduction in the availability of fuel wood in the
area after the high industrial output (not only of iron but also
pottery) of Roman times. However, recent research into the practice of
coppicing increasingly questions this theory. A colleague once told me
that the majority of Northamptonshire woodlands were retained as
medieval hunting forests, but to what extent this affected the regional
iron production I cannot substantiate.
At least charcoal making is widespread in these medieval woodlands - cf.
G. Foard (2001) Medieval agriculture and industry in Rockingham Forest,
Northamptonshire. Medieval Archaeology 45, 2001.

Irene

--
Irene Schrüfer-Kolb MA, PhD, AIFA
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~uckolb/isk