Archaeometallurgy is a highly multidisciplinary activity which requires
many different intellctual and practical inputs, from the physical
sciences, the humanities and social sciences, as well as craft and
industrial knowledge and experience. There is even room for
metallurgists! Indeed, while I generally support what David Killick and
Gill Juelff have said they, as well as Paul Budd, have perhaps too much
discounted the contribution to archaeometallurgical experience of
recent industrial metallurgy which, after all, is the end result of the
past developments we are exploring. I say recent rather than current
because the way in which the materials sciences and industries have
changed in the 35 years since I first started work in metallurgy is so
radical that the sense of continuity may in fact be being broken
(another topic for debate?). In that time, albeit briefly in some
cases, I have worked on the basics (in the steel industry), on metal as
a means of exchange (the Royal Mint) and in the current equivalent of
prestige metalwork (rockets). The experience I gained has been
invaluable and some has probaly been of more practical use than much of
my academic instruction. I would go further and say that when I am
looking for anthropological or ethnographic analogies for something I
am studying in antiquity I can often find something helpful within the
traditional metal processing industries of the last couple of
centuries. If you share experience with the people on the foundry
or workshop floor, (even in Europe and not just those parts which speak
English), and talk about where they see how they fit in their society
as well as practical matters to do with metal, you will get ideas and
knowledge which are as valuable as those that David and Gill have
acquired in other continents. I think the barriers come much more from
the nature of the academic environment than the particular routes taken
in the development of metal production, processing and use in different
cultures and societies. We really should get out more.

Yours,
Peter Northovr
Dr Peter Northover,
Materials Science-Based Archaeology Group,
Dept. of Materials, University of Oxford,
Begbroke Business and Science Park,
Sandy Lane,
Yarnton,
Oxford,  OX5 1PF
Tel. 01865 283721; Fax. 01865 841943; Mobile 07785 501745

* This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.1 *