Many of you will know the work of Doug Walker, Professor of
French & Linguistics at the University of Calgary: he is
the author of several books and has been a frequent
contributor to the JFLS. We were delighted that Doug was
able to join us at the AFLS conference at l'Universite
Laval in Quebec last year.

I've just seen a copy of his latest book, 'French Sound
Structure', which is accompanied by a CD-ROM, and is
published by the University of Calgary Press.

Incidentally, Doug's web pages at
www.ucalgary.ca/~dcwalker/
have much of interest to AFLS members. His teaching and
research interests include not only French phonology, but
also language learning, general phonetics,
sociolinguistics, le francais au Canada (et dans le
monde!), Romance linguistics, the history of French ....

In a recent message to me, Doug sends his greetings to all
AFLS members, especially those he met last year in Quebec.
He's unable to be at the Louvain conference this year, but
is planning to come to St Andrews next summer.

Aidan
Aidan Coveney
University of Exeter