Here' some good news about the use of Phonetic symbols in
Word/Windows.

Aidan

--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:43:39 +0100
From: John Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: keyboarding Unicode
Sender: Teaching of phonetics mailing list
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks to the introduction of Unicode, recent Windows computers come
ready-equipped with phonetic symbols. See my web page on the topic,
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm .

But this message is to draw people's attention to an interesting article on
the matter of how best to keyboard characters that are not on the keyboard,
using a poorly documented feature of Word. It is "Eureka!" by Dermod Quirke
and Brian Holser. You can download a zipped version from
www.dermod.dircon.co.uk/eureka.zip ; or, with the permission of the
authors, I've placed an unzipped version on our own server at
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/Eureka.doc .

I've also taken their ideas further, applying them to the question of
keyboarding IPA characters. You can read my follow-up article at
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/eureka-ipa.doc .

What this means is that everyone with recent versions of Windows and Word
can now use IPA characters in documents without changing fonts. With my
current set-up (Windows 2000, Word 2000, HP deskjet 930C, IE6/NN6) it
basically all works marvellously. Once various remaining bugs have been
ironed out - in Powerpoint, in Excel, with laser printers and so on - life
will be truly wonderful.

I'd love to hear whether Macintosh people, too, now have access to Unicode
software (judging by http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts_mac.html,
not yet, except by remapping workarounds). Not to mention Unix/Linux.

John Wells
--- End Forwarded Message ---

Aidan Coveney
University of Exeter