So you're right and the students are wrong?  Maybe instead
of looking for ways to convince them of your rightness in
the matter you should look at the issue from their
perspective. Perhaps they actually live or have lived in
communities where racism, between whatever groups, actually
occurs.  It is not pleasant whatever your ethnicity.

It is no argument telling a powerless white person, who
does not live in comfortable suburbia, that they should
accept their lot for "balance".

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:34:37 +0000 Nick Givens
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I gave a lecture on 'tackling racism' to a couple of hundred PGCE students
> today.
>
> Several were keen to emphasize that Black and minority ethnic people can
> display racism towards white people; they did not accept that this does not
> simply balance out white racism.
>
> I would welcome suggestions on how to address this. I certainly don't want
> to defend harassment, aggression or bulying whoever the source; neither do
> I want to deny the fear or pain experienced by white surviors of violence
> committed by Black people.
>
> nevertheless, it seems to me that
> 'white racism' = prejudice + power, while
> 'black racism' = prejudice
>
> and the Power makes a lot of difference!
>
> I fear that this was lost on a portion of my audience, who were a bit keen
> to say that racism is an entirely two way issue.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Nick.
>
> Lecturer in Education,
> School of Education,