In Hull, we currently do urine screening for opiates on one of our LX20s by immunoassay and if positive the sample then undergoes TLC using Toxilab to help confirm whether the positive opiate is due to heroin or something more benign like dihydrocodeine. I believe a 6 monoacetyl morphine (6MAM) immunoassay kit has or is becoming available, but I cannot see how this is likely to drastically reduce our toxilab workload since most urines from patients taking heroin show morphine rather than both morphine and 6MAM by our current method.

I was wondering whether what we do is routine practice or if most labs simply settle for the screening test on its own with no confirmation. If so, where would we stand legally if someone is accused of being an addict because they had a headache?

Eric
Dr. Eric S. Kilpatrick
Consultant in Chemical Pathology
Hull Royal Infirmary