From: Peter Vervaart [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 4:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Abdo pain ? cause

From a study I performed comparing Amylase and Lipase a number of years ago
I found that Lipase could also be raised in some other abdominal conditions
especially those associated with the Biliary tract eg cholangitis,
obstruction etc probably due to the release of cytokines etc having an
impact on the pancreas. As lipase is much more sensitive to pancreatic
damage/inflammation, in these indirect type situations it could be expected
to rise whilst amylase remains normal or only slightly raised. The raised
gGT is also probably suggestive of some type of biliary disease as well,
unless the patient is on alcohol or another GGT raising drug.

Peter Vervaart BAppSci FAACB
Senior Scientist, Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Honorary Research Fellow, MCRI
Women's and Children's Health
Flemington Road
Parkville Victoria 3052