I think you are right that automated decision support systems have more of a
role then we have yet seen. I think that the role of the "duty biochemist"
is at least in part to tailor this information to:
1) The knowledge and expertise of the requestor e.g. some gps need more help
than others(if known).
2) Whether or not the result relates to a condition outside the normal
practice of the requesting firm e.g. hypocalcaemia on a psychiatric ward.
3) Whether the requesting firm gets irritated by comments e.g. most
endocrinologists!
4) Whether, if this result is not acted upon, harm might come to the
patient.
5) Whether the requestor wants an opinion - we have a box on our forms that
requestors can ask for one and the computer puts these requests on a
separate authorisation queue whatever the result.
This to a greater extent means getting to know the personalities on your own
patch and learning what they actually want. The bigger the operation,
however, the more difficult this becomes and I fear it may become a victim
of pathology modernisation.

I now feel in need of a good rant!
Eventually of course we will be able to have information systems which will
be able to extract this sort of information from doctors revalidation
portfolios, along with their psychometric testing and adjust their
algorithms accordingly. Although by then all the doctors will be replaced by
robots anyway. Roll on the virtual health care system, I am sure it will be
cost effective, all we have to do is get rid of the humans!
Mike