I have restrained myself from entering the saga of clinical validation
of laboratory results both in and out of hours but have been finally
provoked beyond endurance by Dr MacNamara's contribution.  This
I can paraphrase as 'give me what I want and give it me now'
Unfortunately all medical staff are clearly not as familiar with the
selection and interpretation of laboratory tests as Dr MacNamara.
Indeed it is my experience that as we adopt PBL learning the
knowledge base of clinical biochemistry amongst doctors is in the
decline. The incidence of bizarre requests is increasing and the
arguments put to justify them show a frightening ignorance even
amongst more senior staff.  This is of personal concern to me as I
come to the age group where I am as likely to meet a doctor as a
patient as a colleague.

In my small paediatric lab looking at all reports is feasible during
the day but I can understand that in general labs high throughput
means that clinically validating all results is time consuming and
boring.  However, the use of a computer, delta checks and a few
rules could allow the greater part of reults to be issued without
checking leaving the more important results to occupy the clinical
scientist or chemical pathologist.   Out of hours requests will
almost always fall into the group which can be automatically
validated.

Others have demonstrated that medical staff often value comments
and find them useful inpatient management so the evidence base is
there for Dr MacNamara but I suspect her practice is entirely
hospital based while most UK labs have a large element of GP
work.

Perhaps this subject has reached it's natural end with fixed views
based on different philosophies and resource driven practical
approaches.  We know preanalytical and postanalytical phases of
lab tests are just as prone to problems as the analytical phase so
will anyone kick off with an email on clinical validation of requests?

Mike Addison
Dr G.Michael Addison
Royal Manchester Children's Hospital
Pendlebury
Manchester M27 4HA
United Kingdom

Tel 0161-727-2250(AM)or 0161-220-5342(PM)
FAX 0161-727-2249
Email [log in to unmask]