From: Julian Barth [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 December 2001 10:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: help with CA 125 interpretation please

I would be most grateful for any advice regarding the interpretation of
CA125 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis?

A 62 yr old female presented with Stage 1a carcinoma ovary approx 3-4 years
ago. Over the last year she has been noted to have a rising CA125. The only
abnormality detected radiologically is some right basal pleural thickening /
very small effusion and some subtle questionable changes on the
diaphragmatic/liver surface on CT scan which an MRI has failed to define
further. Meanwhile she continues to have quite active rheumatoid with
significant knee effusions and synovial thickening in other joints.
Apparently she has had some low grade pleural changes for quite a while.

date CA125 (Nichols Advantage)

26.5.00 53

4.9.00 68

16.1.01 68

20.03.01 94

21.05.01 89

17.08.01 135

21.09.01 177

19.11.01 235

Can the steady rise be attributed to serous fluids and rheumatoid thickening
or is this evidence for the initiation of chemotherapy for the ovarian
cancer?

Many thanks

Julian

Julian H Barth

Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Leeds General Infirmary

Leeds LS1 3EX

tel 0113-392-3416