-----Original Message-----
From: Frost, Stephen
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 11:22 AM
To: 'JOE BEGLEY'
Subject: RE: Source of raised Amylase?

I am sure other people have looked at this since. However as part of a small study, I once examined the amylase isoenzymes in 12 patients with various carcinomas (amongst other conditions) and two had raised amylase, although only mild elevations in the hundreds rather than thousands, unlike in your case. One had a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and the other had a Ca prostate. In both cases the amylase was predominantly salivary. (ref. SJ Frost, Clin Chim Acta 87 (1978) 23-28)

I doubt it applies to your case but there have also been at least one report of raised predominantly salivary type isoamylase in diabetic ketoacidosis (ref. Warshaw A. L. et al., Lancet, 1:929, 1977).

Amylase can rise into the thousands in chronic renal failure. It is typically mixed salivary/pancreatic isoenzymes in this condition. It is possible to speculate she could have a chronic pancreatitis, which usually lowers the pancreatic fraction, together with renal failure pushing up the remaining predominantly salivary fraction. I would be surprised if it would get levels so high though, even if she has these two conditions.

regards

Steve