Hello Helen

We have used commercial antibody binding tubes (Scantibodies), precipitation
with animal sera and dilution studies - see Ann Clin Biochem  1998; 35:
317-320 if you want brief details of the methods which are very simple.
However we now find fewer problems with the ELECSYS than our earlier
analyser.

I must confess that now if I get an occasional odd result, I  find it easier
to send suspect samples straight to Penny Clark in Birmingham. This has the
advantage that they can check the results on a different method/analyser
(assuming they haven't just gone over to Roche as well!). They will also
perform HAMA/ heterophile ab checks on request, do a free T4 by equilibrium
dialysis if a definite result is needed, and  occasionally if needed can
look for other interference such as anti-thyroid hormones.

If the FT4s you are querying are at the low end of the reference range, I
wonder if this is a conceptual problem caused by changing from a previous
method that gave FT4 results lower compared to the reference range than the
ELECSYS.  With any method I have used, there has always been a certain
proportion of high TSHs with low normal FT4s, which has been put down to
either mild hypothyroidism (TSH presumably being more 'sensitive' and rising
first), or to subclinical hypothyroidism (possibly the same thing).

If the FT4 results are normal or slightly high, I suggest you need to make
sure the patients really aren't on thyroid treatment. We have several
otherwise intelligent GPs and clinicians who are reluctant to include this
useful information on their request forms, which is often a problem when it
comes to interpretation and selection of further tests.

Hope that helps

Steve

Dr S Frost