                From:   Jonathan Kay
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Wednesday, March 07, 2001 12:59 PM
                To:     [log in to unmask]
                Subject:        Re: Design of laboratory request form

                1 Entering the patient details on a request form doesn't
breach the DPA. The
                requesting clinician and the receiving laboratory need to be
registered under
                the Act.

                2 Entering the patient details on a request form doesn't
breach patient
                confidentiality by any current ruling or guidance. However
when committees
                look at this issue it is often questioned whether
laboratories need to know
                the patient identity rather than, for example, a
clinician-assigned accession
                number.

                3 In Oxford we don't ask for patient addresses for
biochemistry, haematology
                or immunology, we do for microbiology (but I wouldn't).

                4 It's good practice to have an anonymisation procedure for
VIPs, staff, GUM
                etc.

                Dr Jonathan Kay
                Chairman, Informatics Committee, Royal College of
Pathologists