Pete French spoke thus at 18:50:38 on Thu, 9 Aug 2001:

} I am sure I read somewhere that the maximum amount of memory an
} OpenStep machine would take was 256MB isnt that right ? Now I cant
} remember what the dire consequences were of exceeding this, but (as
} memory is so dirt cheap at the moment) I just swapped my 128MB for
} 256MB, and then, just to see what would happen, stuck the 128MB back
} in.
}
} I fully expected it not to boot, but up at came and I am now typing
} this on a box that appears to quite happily be handling 384MB.
}
} Anybody know anything about this ?

I seem to recall that Eren said on the list some while ago that >256 MB
is unsupported and you might well get "undefined behaviour" (eg.
spontaneous kernel panics for no apparent reason; although you might also
be fine).  Not worth risking if it's providing a service.  Eren?

} -pete. [no luck with DVD fielsystems yet by the way :-(]

:-(

        charles