chuckle!

I like this queer variation!

-----Original Message-----
From:   Mark Weiss [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, January 20, 2001 8:40 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: landscape

I know there are such in Gay folklore, but only recently, and of course as
a take-off. More than that I'm not qualified to say. Altho I do remember
one: Travelling salesman lost on a stormy night in the boonies finally
finds a solitary farmhouse. Knocks at the door. When farmer sticks head out
window salesman begs refuge for the night. "Well alright, stranger," the
kindly farmer answers, "but you'll have to share a bed with my son." To
which the salesman replies, "Wait a minute--I'm in the wrong joke!"

In the traditional genre either the farmer is presented as a fool for
putting his son in bed with the daughter or the salesman for not taking
advantage of the girl's lubricity. And there are lots  of experienced women
and innocent boy jokes.

Gershon Legman has two saleswoman jokes in his monumental _Rationale of the
Dirty Joke_, first series (p. 124). Here's one (the other is similar) from
1938: "The travelling saleswoman stops at the farmer's house. There is no
extra room so she must sleep with the farmer's son. During the night she
nudges him and says, 'Do something.' 'Huh?' 'Do something!' He (vibrating
his lower lip with one finger): 'Bubba-bubba-bubble.'"

Until very very recently there weren't a lot of women salespeople
travelling the hinterland, so such jokes are rare.

The Farmer's Daughter stories are upgrades of the soldier (or gypsy,
etc)-and-the-maid songs--a long history behind those.

History--as written, but also as lived--has rarely been equal-opportunity.

There are also, I think, no father-in-law jokes. Even female commedians are
more likely to talk about their mothers-in-law.

Mark