the problem with the Commedia is that it is such a summa teologica
such a philosophical compendium such an ars poetica such a unity of purpose
such a display of genius such a metaphysical Pindaric flight
such a paradoxical architecture of hope and despair such a worldly work
such a majestic conception that I feel like an ant unable to do much more
than being sucked into it read it and want to be at the same time damned
and do penance. I also find beautiful and moving that we still are inspired
by it as a whole. I do not read the Commedia in a  religious sense.

I do not understand what "abridge" means. What does it mean?

erminia