Hello all,

Currently in Ireland (Republic) there are discussions taking place
concerning the potential transfer of midwifery tutors into the third level
sector and I would like to seek the advice of the list regarding the
drafting of options for transfer.  Midwifery students in Ireland have, with
the exception of a pilot direct entry programme, a dual role in that they
are salaried employees of the hospitals and are registered students with
associated universities. Therefore we fall under the Department of Health as
our paymaster but have been advised that entry to the third level sector
under the Department of Education as paymasters is a more viable option for
the future of midwifery education.  This being said it is recognised and
strongly argued that midwifery tutors need to maintain clinical contact to
provide student support, clinical education, participation in clinical
guidelines etc and to maintain clinical credibility (a real hot potato I
know!).  As, in my experience, most of the schools of midwifery in the UK
have moved to the third level sector I would very much appreciate it if any
of you have any advice to offer regarding such potential transfer.  I would
be very grateful if those of you that moved to the third level sector would
forward me with a copy of your job description (please email me directly and
I will forward an SAE to accommodate) and also a copy of any honorary
contracts or otherwise that you have with the clinical areas which allows
you 'free' access to the clinical are.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Declan Devane,
Midwifery Tutor,
School of Midwifery,