Dear All,

Just to throw my lot in as well, I am extremely uncomfortable with the
approach taken by the Museum Webguide, and also with the apparently
deliberate anonymity of the site's creators. The site itself is far from a
textbook example of good practice in web design, and I am concerned about
the authority and criteria with which the sites have been selected.

While the aim of encouraging museums to develop high-quality websites is
laudable, I really don't feel that this is the best way to go about it,
particularly since, as Ian Rowson has pointed out, there are serious
financial implications for any organisation in developing an online
presence. The current approach can only undermine the creators of the sites
in question. I would encourage Ian Crawley to contact the list again and
provide more information about his intentions in creating the
museum-webguide.co.uk site, his links with either museums or professional
web design, and how he hopes to create a useful dialogue with the sector to
achieve his stated intention.

All the best!

Nick Poole
ICT Adviser
Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
16 Queen Anne's Gate
London
SW1H 9AA

Tel 020 7273 1410