We recently started offering this using our library system as a proxy
server.  Our problem now is how to find out which e-journal publishers/
hosts allow off-site access (and to which category of users).  It is also
difficult to indicate to users which electronic journals can be accessed
off-campus, especially when access is not from the library catalogue
(e.g. links from databases).

We don't have the resources to maintain multiple links to e-journals and
only provide links via aggregators if they are the only route available
to us.  BTW, am I correct in assuming that ingenta does not allow direct
linking to individual articles?  If it is possible, instructions must be
well hidden.

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Frank Norman wrote:

> Yes, this is becoming an issue here too.  I've asked quite a few
> publishers (mostly learned societies who publish via Highwire)
> about the possibility of having  password-controlled access to cater
> for off-campus use.  They have all replied that they cannot provide
> this but that I should setup a password-controlled proxy server to
> facilitate off-campus use.
>
> Have other sites gone down this route?

Mieko
-----
Mieko Yamaguchi                                [log in to unmask]
Technical Services Manager/System Coordinator        +44 (0)1248 382970
Main Library, University of Wales Bangor, UK   +44 (0)1248 382979 (Fax)