<Sukhbir's sadness is returned with such kindness and compassion by Kathy.>

Sukhbir - I don't know what your intent was in sending your message, but if
you intended to convey sadness, I would just like to let you know that you
failed to convey that to me.  What I experienced in reading your letter was
your anger at America and Americans.  Even the most reasonable of us may find
that difficult to digest at this particular moment.

If you are afraid for the fate of Islamic people in the U.S., I unfortunately
can not assure you that no one will be harmed anywhere.  But I can tell you
that most of the people I hear from are trying to do everything they can
to keep that from happenning.  Our top leaders have addressed this repeatedly.
Islamic leaders have been invited, and have participated, in all of the
memorial services I have seen.  There is a campaign spreading in my area
at least, for people to go out of their way to patronize businesses with
middle eastern and islamic roots.  A local synagogue has just held joint
services with a local mosque.

I don't remember who it was that brought up the slaughter of Sikhs after
Indira Gandhi's assasination, as a cautionary predictive note, but it is
somewhat worth noting that nothing like that is happening here.  Nothing
even in the same universe as that kind of behavior is happening here.

We are poor benighted members of this imperfect species, who, just as all
others are capable, especially when aroused to act as a group, of doing
horrible things to other human beings.  But a truer picture of us would
be given if, besides drawing our attention to a few 'goons' among our
300 million citizens, you also acknowledged teh existence of many acts
of kindness and generosity.

Lee Perlman