Well, who knows what's in another's heart? The more important point you make
is that Leopold possibly felt unable to express his opposition to official
policy (sound familiar?). I have seen that in young USFS rangers who say
that once they get their years in and they can't be fired, then they will
act on changing the policy. Unfortunately, events have proven over and over
that by the time the individual has those years in, he has internalized the
official policy and it is no longer in his interest to rock the boat.
        Maybe the same applied in Aldo's case and he was able to overcome
his reticence.
-Tc
Anthony R. S. Chiaviello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Professional Writing
Department of English
University of Houston-Downtown
One Main Street
Houston, TX 77002-0001