Hey Ray,
        You make some good points. On the constructive side, I think the
solution lies with producers internalizing the costs of production so that
the manufacturing process includes the costs to the environment of the waste
contributed by the use of the product. This would result in higher prices,
which could then be reduced, were reused materials and containers made to
replace throwaways. So, pay higher prices for waste-inducing products and
take advantage of the savings involved in reusing materials in order to pay
lower prices.
        This can also be applied to products like gasoline, in which the
pollution costs to the environment of a gallon be included in that gallon's
price. Consumers would use less, refiners would work toward making a cleaner
product, and automakers would build more efficient vehicles. Of course, the
portion of the price that covers environmental damage could then be
allocated to cleanup.
        Finally, restructuring the tax code to replace sales taxes with
consumption taxes would shift the tax burden of cleanup to those who consume
the most, encouraging conservation and rationally shifting tax burdens to
put the onus on the consumer.
        Not my ideas: all this has been fully theorized and made practicable
years ago. Problem is, it's not in the short-term interests of that segment
of society with the most influence on the construction of social structure,
who are the same people (and corps.) with the most to lose in terms of $$
and profit, were such reforms to be instituted.
-Tc
Anthony R. S. Chiaviello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Professional Writing
Department of English
University of Houston-Downtown
One Main Street
Houston, TX 77002-0001