Hi Liz

There are a number of one-box products that contain the equivalent of a PC,
scanner, OCR software and speech synthesiser in an easy-to-use package. They
seem to be aimed at non-techy users who just want to be able to stick a book
or letter under the lid, press the 'Read' button and listen. There seems
less interest in them nowadays, perhaps because PCs are so common and the
components (scanners, OCR software etc) much cheaper than they once were.
Have a look at: http://www.portset.co.uk/Reading.htm,
http://www.telesensory.com/products2-2-2.html
and http://www.sensorytools.com/pronto.htm

Phil