All joking apart, this treatment, we are told, is as successful for
improving memory and balance in those who are genetically
affected from birth (ie dyslexics) as for those suffering a temporary
loss due to prolonged periods of weightlessness. Why stop there?
Memory and balance are both affected following a stroke, so is
anyone using the treatment on that?

Practice can maximise what functionality we may be capable of,
but it doesn't "cure". Fifteen years ago we worked with physios and
OTs who were often surprised by the degree of control that clients
achieved over muscles that had been written off as useless when
the client had to rely on the movement to operate a switch to work
a computer. There was no miracle involved, expert opinion had
simply been wrong in estimating the degree of damage as well as
what determination could overcome.

DSA assessors commit this cardinal sin if they begin an interview
with the thought "So you are dyslexic, which means you can't do
so-and-so and will need such-and-such."  The upshot is reports of
remarkable similarity that owe less to thinking than to cut'n'paste.

Also, let's not forget the "halo" effect. Between about 1950 and
1980 there were several primary school maths schemes that were
given similar prominence in the media as revolutionising teaching
and producing remarkable results. (I remember one screaming
"Eight year olds calculate square roots".) They all fizzled out and
when a Nuffield research project tried to find out why, they
concluded that exceptional progress owed more to the dedicated
enthusiasm of a small group of teachers, led by some charismatic
professor of maths, given something new and exciting to do, rather
than to the methods themselves. When the methods were used
more widely they never managed to have the same impact.

Dave Laycock

Head of CCPD
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

tel. 020 7911-5161