I was walking around the Tate Modern on Sunday and it struck me how
difficult it was for "commited" art to really work as art; it seemed to
reduce itself to slogans. It was also therefore reducing the politics to
slogans; surely the opposite of what is should be doing. Doesn't mean of
course that politics should be kept out of art, but it should at least try
to reach the complications and the depths of whatever it's talking about.
Great stuff by Denise Riley and Douglas Oliver spring to mind. But still,
often the greatest political art is the least obviously political - Celan,
Beckett etc. I'm not explaining this very well; my mind is full of this
stuff at the moment and it's not very well ordered at the moment. I could
probably have a better go at it after Xmas (though I couldn't guarantee it).

Cheers,

Jon