I sent a more detailed reply to the enquirer off-list, but
as one or two replies are being circulated, it is perhaps
worth mentioning some points more generally.  I can't give
exact references for everything as I'm not in the right
office at present, but searches on www.doh.gov.uk/ should
help.

The DOH circular HSC 1999/053 'For the record'
[http://www.doh.gov.uk/nhsexec/manrec.htm] has much useful
information and general guidance, but it is directed to
Trusts and Hospitals, not GPs.  The appropriate circular
for GPs is HSC 1998/217 'Preservation, retention and
destruction of GP General Medical Services records relating
to patients' [available at www.doh.gov.uk/coinh.htm].  This
may be a little out of date in respect of electronic
records, but it is the primary guidance applicable for GP
records.  The officer charged with liaison with the PRO in
respect of GP records is the Department of Health's
Departmental Records Officer (contact details certainly in
HSC 1999/053 and probably in HSC 1998/217).

One obvious source of information is the NHS Information
Authority, created to deal with matters relating to IT (and
specifically electronic patient records) in the NHS, as
outlined in the NHS document 'Information for Health' (a
key document in this area).

Elizabeth Boardman
Archivist
Oxfordshire Health Archives
Brasenose, Oriel and St. Hilda's Colleges