>The early 17th century evidence (pre-slitting mill) from Sedgley West
>Midlands is that 'slitter' was a distinct occupation in the nail trade.
Of
>course the practice in 1600 may well differ from 1400.
>
>The standard article on the origin of the slitting mill (as Peter
Hutchinson
>reminded me privately) is by Rhys Jenkins in Collected Papers (1936) or The
>Engineer 125 (1918), 445-6 486-9.   However this says nothing which will
>assist with your query.
>
>Peter King
>
>From: Peter Hutchison <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> I don't think it is worth trying to cut thin steel srip with a chisel. It
>is
>> possible to cut thin strips from up to .110 ins mild steel with a 12"
hand
>> shear much more quickly than you would do it with a chisel. The strips
>are.
>> of course, curly and not very uniform in width. Cutting with a chisel
will
>> be worse. Light drawing should cure this.
>>
>> As I pointed out in my reply to Peter King we would find most of the work
>in
>> Medieval times to be a pain. I expect some lad did the cutting anyway not
>> the armourer.
>>
>> There may be some doubt about the exact date of the first slitting mill
>but
>> the chances of it being before the second half of the 16th century are
>very
>> small indeed.
>>
>> Peter Hutchison

Thank you Peter K and Peter H for your references and the proper dating on
slitting mills.  I agree that on further thought using a chisel on material
that thin is probably counter productive.  It is also unlikely based on
your inputs that slitting rather than a shearing operation was used to
make the thin strips for wire drawing prior to the mid 16th century.  The
most likely candidate for the job is a pair of shears.  This would certainly
be the type of task given to an apprentice along with the actual wire
drawing I suspect.  Thank you and the others for clarifying the term and
it's proper dating.  I shall need to think about whether there is a simple
mechanical cutting aid or forging aid that could be used to make the process
simpler.

Regards,
Mark