Colleagues,

Please don't curse me for placing yet another straw poll type survey thing
before you.  However, I do find benchmarking what other institutions are
doing helpful.  I will keep my questions to a minimum this time round and
would ask, as usual, that you respond directly to me
([log in to unmask]) rather than to the list as a courtesy to those who
don't share my burning issues.

So, I'd be grateful if you would let me know:

1. whether your institution does now or has once operated a semesterised
year and whether it has abandoned or is thinking of abandoning a
semesterised structure;

2. whether semester 1 failure is redeemed during semester 2 (when the
candidates are trying to get to grips with semester 2 demands too) or
whether the re-sit is scheduled to occur alongside semester 2 resits in the
vacation period prior to the next academic session;

3. the dates when your summer resits (e.g. those taken in the vacation
period prior to the next academic session) occur;

4. whether your academics are required to be present when resits are on or
whether they continue to be out of the country undertaking "research".

Any views as to whether resits are sensibly scheduled to occur in August
would also be welcomed (together with any indications as to whether students
who have booked a holiday during the resit period suffer any penatly for
non-attendance).

I am, as ever, grateful for any information provided.

Thanks,

Paul