Dear Susanna,

1.  We reviewed our Harassment Policy (for staff) this year. The policy for
students is being reviewed at the moment.  We re-named the staff policy  the
Bullying and Harassment Policy.  Here is a quote from our policy which gives
the definition of bullying and harassment as we see it (this was the subject
of much debate amongst the group of managers, unions and Personnel staff who
reviewed the policy):
'Bullying and Harassment can be defined as unwanted behaviour, which causes
offence to the individual concerned or to others, and which is not justified
by the working professional relationship.
Harassment is a form of discrimination, and is covered by legislation
including the Sex Discrimination Act, the Disability Discrimination Act, and
the Race Relations Act.  The behaviour described above as 'bullying'  could
be considered to be harassment when directed against someone because of
their race, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, or some particular
physical feature.'

2.  Our current EO policy states its aim as:
'The Open University aims to create the conditions whereby students and
staff are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and
potential, regardless of gender, colour, ethnic or national origin, age*,
socio-economic background, disability, religious or political beliefs,
family circumstance, sexual orientation or other irrelevant distinction'
There is a note on the bottom in relation to the asterisk on age to say
'subject to the normal pay and retirement conventions and University
regulations on admission'

Regards
Dawn Steel - Personnel Officer
The Open University