Re the three editions of Piers Plowman in the mi-16th century. It is yet to
be generally acknowledged that as much as Chaucer, Langland was Spenser's
'original'. It would be interesting to know from students of English
literary history just why Langland has never been acknowledged to be as
central as Chaucer. My guess is that Spenser critics being very educated
and sophisticated find Chaucer congenial, but not the populist and
religious Langland. A.C. Hamilton

A.C.Hamilton
Cappon Professor Emeritus
Queen's University, Canada