Max Rives has asked about the following issue. Can anyone shed light on the
question he raises:

 'While translating Mary Postgate, I stumbled on one of the nice names Wynn
uses with Mary.

In my Penguin version, it reads : "you dowey casoary". No one of my
dictionaries, including Webster and OED even list such a word as "dowey". So
I concluded that this Penguin version had one more misprint, and I opted for
"dowdy", that nicely makes sense in the situation. However, consulting
Seymour-Smith on the sibject of Mary Postgate, I found this very sentence
quoted, with "dowey" again ! (p 344).

I am inclined to think that Seymour-Smith copied the sentence in the Penguin
version without noticing the misprint. But might it be that "dowey" mean
something ?'

All good wishes, John R