About 15 years ago in the UK there was a lot of interest in Joyce William's "School for Bravery" programme, which was a method for changing "illness behaviour" into "wellness behaviour". She did this at Doncaster Royal Infirmary, and also ran courses on it that were attended by many PTs from all over the UK - who then set up their own "School for Bravery" programmes.

 I am really keen to find out if anyone is still running such a scheme, or anything like it - I have already contacted Doncaster and they don't do it any more. The illness behaviour that my client is exhibiting is a movement disorder rather than chronic pain behaviour - what I think she needs is a friendly group environment, where illness behaviour is totally ignored and wellness behaviour lavishly praised.

Anywhere in the UK would be a possibility as I believe a strong case for funding it could be made.

Here's hoping !

Nikki Adams Community Physical Disability Team Wakefield   [log in to unmask]