At 03:45 PM 12/27/00 -0500, you wrote:

>ITEM #15
>
>      From Cardinal Merry de Val, "Forward," in the Index of Prohibited
>Books, revised and published by order of His Holiness Pope Pius XI (new
>ed.; [Vatican City]: Vatican Polyglot Press, 1930), pp. ix-xi:
>[p. ix] What many, indeed fail to appreciate, and what, moreover
>non-Catholics consider a grave abuse — as they put it

yes, welcome to the modern world where multiple voices get heard.  as this
posting so disturbingly illustrates, there are some catholics  who do not
like to be accused of grave abuses, but do not hesitate to accuse others of
precisely the same thing... and, when they had power, to use coercion to
impose such a "reading".

>of the Roman Curia, is the action of the Church in hindering the printing
>and circulation of Holy Writ in the vernacular.
>Fundamentally however, this ac- [p. x] cusation is based on calumny.

okay, so the roman curia considers it not a good thing to be accused of
hindering layfolk from having access to the bible.

>During the first twelve centuries Christians were
>highly familiar with the text of Holy Scripture,

you've got to be kidding.  if by xns he means layfolk, there is no way
anyone can say this with a straight face about europe from ca. 500-1200.

>as is evident from the
>homilies of the Fathers and the sermons of the
>mediaeval preachers;

not at all evident.  leaving aside the fathers (who, in the west, at least,
were dealing with a vernacular bible, appropriately known as the
"vulgate"), i wd argue that the sermons of the medieval preachers neither
assume knowledge of scriptures and certainly no specific, textual knowledge
of them.

>nor did the ecclesiastical authorities ever intervene
>to prevent this. It was only in consequence of
>heretical abuses,

heresy, for the historian, is a political category (see Talal Assad's
article, "Medieval Heresy: An Anthropological View," Social History, 11
(1986), 345-62).  one generation's heretics are another's church renewers
(from waldo, who thought himself fully committed to catholic orthodoxy and
wanted to fight the cathars, to francis).  to invoke heresy as if it were
an objective category comes back to the problem of "objective
exegesis."  obviously, altho perhaps not to cardinal de val, most of these
heretics believed that they were reading the texts honestly and
spiritually, and that the malice came from the church.  to assume the
heretics malice and then use it as a justification for burning vernacular
bibles, strikes me as a very bizarre defense against the alleged calumny.

>introduced particularly by the Waldenses, the Albigenses,
>the followers of Wyclif, and by Protestants
>broadly speaking (who with sacrilegious mutilations of Scripture

good grief.  i've heard of lack of exegetical modesty, but this is just not
acceptable discourse among historians.  you can't do good history if you
treat those who disagree with the catholic church as engaged in
sacrilegious mutilations of scripture.

>and arbitrary interpretations vainly sought to justify
>themselves in the eyes of the people; twisting the text of the Bible to
>support erroneous doctrines condemned by the
>whole history of the Church)

ouch.  here is where i think we see modernity and the magisterium collide,
if i might digress onto a relevant but modern issue of epistemology.  the
point that all these "heretics" were trying to make was that this "twisting
of texts to support erroneous doctrines" describes precisely what the
catholic church was doing. as a historian it's not my job to take sides
(even if as a person of faith i have my own opinions), but it is my place
to point out that when the church cdn't win the fight with persuasion (ie
commonfolk were convinced that these wandering preachers without
institutional support who ran the risk of persecution were more correct in
their reading of scripture than the priests), she turned to coercion, a
sure sign of spiritual trouble. (for a good treatment of the shift from
persuasion to coercion, see the Edward Peters book on Heresy in the MA. to
invoke the "whole history of the church" in support of a reading that used
force to impose itself is not exactly what i wd call a compelling argument.

>that the Pontiffs and the Councils were
>obliged on more than one occasion to control and
>sometimes even forbid the use of the Bible in the vernacular...

in order to protect their interpretation.  how can this be a refutation of
the argument that the catholic church tried to control access to the
bible?  just because they may have felt (and  may apparently still feel)
justified in controlling what people read and think for the sake of the
church's determination of what's good for their souls, this hardly obviates
the claim that they tried to prevent people from reading the text.  so if
everyone had read the bible their way, catholics wd have been happy to have
people read it, but since layfolk didn't, they tried to stop them from
reading it...  is this the defense against the calumny that the church
tried to keep layfolk from reading the bible?

the fact that the present church (at least as represented by Cardinal de
Val), even finds this claim -- which they accept with explanation -- as a
"calumny" suggests all kinds of interesting forms of cognitive dissonance
as a result of modern, liberal society.

>This quote from his Eminence Cardinal Merry de Val, shows that Michale
>Shelfer's web site, quoted above, is not being straightforward in this
>presentation of texts. He avoids the obvious context of all the
>disciplinary quotes he makes: namely that the vernacular translations being
>condemn or prohibited were erroneous translations

my goodness gracious.  and the latin vulgate makes no mistakes?  think how
embarrassing such a claim is in the context of those knowledgeable in both
hebrew and greek.

>motivated by those who
>intended to protray the meaning of scripture other than that which its
>historical authors intended.

this sounds like "strict reconstructionism".  you realize of course, that
one cd conceivably make the case, based on this kind of argument, that
xnty, in all its shapes and forms, was a malicious little jewish heresy
that had the nerve to challenge the historical weight of biblical
interpretation by the rabbis for over a millennium; that these xn heretics
insisted on twisting the meaning of scripture (young maid becomes virgin!),
on inserting texts even into their own NT (on the trinity); and that, if
only the 1st cn jews had been as "disciplinary" as the 13th catholics,
there wdn't have been a xnty (e.g., they wd have started by burning all
septuagints).

as far as i can make out, the only justification for this apologia is the
claim to have a "lock" on true interpretation -- dare i say, "objective
exegetical truth".  what wd such people do, had they the power to enforce
it? i return to my question, brother alexis, what do you make of the
franciscan participation in the inquisition.  which, i believe, returns us
to the subject of the list -- medieval history.

>But then again that is M. Shelfer's intent on his web site:  ergo..
>
>A scholar should consider the context of his sources, primary and secondary.

indeed.

richard

brother alexis, if there's anything in this discussion you wish to pursue
with me that is not relevant to the list, i'd be happy to do so.  i was
visiting your franciscan website and noticed that there was no mention of
joachim of fiore.  did i miss it?