In a message dated 12/27/00 8:00:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> that's unfair, i think, to lots of religious people and leaders.  i
>  actually think that francis of assissi is a patron saint of
environmentalism.

Well, at least Francis _talked_ to birds and animals. But I think the big
problem is humanism, the assumption that the lives of human beings might be
somehow more meaningful than the lives of clouds or trees or stars. Many
religious leaders were passionately involved in the civil rights movement,
because they could relate to the idea that all human beings ought to be
treated with respect. It was almost de rigeur that any march began with a row
of rabbis and priests and ministers holding hands.  But when it comes to
respect for animals or the oceans or the air, I just don't see that it
resonates with them in the same way. At least they don't seem to me to be
turning out in similar numbers. Maybe one of the few exceptions is the Dalai
Lama, which might account in part for his tremendous popularity.

pat