Dear List members,

Yes the Latin text I sent out for this paragraph was butchered both by the
cut and paste and by typographic error.

Here is the full text

Fratres insuper ipsius fraternitatis, de humili panno in retio et colore,
non prorsus albo vel nigro, communiter vestiantur, nisi fuerit ad tempus
in pretio per visitatores de consilio ministri ob causam legitimam et
apertam, cum aliquo despensatum. Chlamydes quoquoe ac pelles, absque
scollaturis, scissas vel integras, affibulatas tamen, vel patulas, ut
congruit honestati, clausasque manicas fratres habeant supradicti. Sorores
etiam chlamyde induantur, et tunica de huiusmodi humili panno factis, vel
saltem cum chlamyde habeant guarnellum, seu placentinum, coloris albi vel
nigri; aut paludellum amplum de canabo, sive lino, absque ulla crispatura
consutum. Circa humilitatem vero panni et pellitones sororum ipsarum, iusta
conditionem cuiuslibet earundum, ac loci consuetundinem poterit dispensari.
Bindis et ligaturis sericis non utantur, pelles dumtaxat agninas, bursas de
corio et corrigias, simpliciter absque serico ullo factas et non alias, tam
fratres habeant, quam sorores, depositis caeteris (iuxta B. Petri
Apostolorum Pincipis salubre consilium) vanis huius saeculi ornamentis.

I apologize for the oversight in omitting Otfried Lieberknecht's input on
guarnellum; that ends the doubt on the nature of the garment. I suppose one
would call it a long gown ? something like a night shirt, than hangs down
almost to the feet ?

Thanks also to Brenda C.'s input on the form of the translation:

Some comments in this regard, for those interested in discussing strategies
of English translation of Latin texts

<communiter> :  commonly, either in the sense of in common or in the sense
of normally, but not always.

<humilis> : humble, because this is a key Franciscan ideal, to use "modest"
would obscure the connextion to other Franciscan writings.

<non prorsus>:  not utterly / not completely, yes this latter is more usual
in English; but how do we say not true black or white, for it seems to me,
and I may be wrong, that "prorsus" refers to the intensity of the color
rather than the completeness of distribution of color on the fabric?

<propter>  on account of, to distinguish it from the "for" in English which
can be the translation of "enim", the dative, and "pro".

Other terms [ligaturis, crispaturis], I stuck with the litteral
meaning/form, which is more common in Ecclesiastical usages. In general my
intent is to render a translation that is as much as it can be in English
what the Latin author would have wrote if it was written in English rather
than Latin; and for this reason I stick to cognates, whenever they still
have identical meanings, even if such usage is not the 1st or 2nd
dictionary definition today. I stick to word for word, and when this fails
to idea for idea, as a methodology of translating, and that explains many
differences from other modern strategies of translation. I do not think
there is any value in dynamic equivalence or paraphrasing.

<honestas>  honesty / decency:  yes in English the former today is often
taken in a diverse sense; but here is used in the older general sense of
uprightness, rather than the more specific modern sense of truthfulness in
communication

Sincerely in Christ,

Br. Alexis Bugnolo