Greetings, listmates.  Yesterday, while I was looking around for
something to read while consuming my lunch, my eyes fell on my copy
of the Golden Legend, and I thought I would read what James of
Voragine had to say about the Nativity.  As he discusses the ways in
which all creatures bore witness to the birth of  Christ, he throws
in the following:
"And even the sodomites gave witness by being exterminated wherever
they were in the world on that night, as Jerome says:  'A light rose
over them so bright that all who practiced this vice were wiped out;
and Christ did this in order that no such uncleanness might be found
in the nature he had assumed.'  For, as Augustine says, God, seeing
that a vice contrary to nature was rife in human nature, hesitated to
become incarnate." (Ryan translation, pg. 41)
Now, reading this did not exactly lift my holiday spirits--in fact I
was left quite depressed by the savagery of the sentiment.  But the
passage also left me puzzled.  Based on what I've read about the
evolution of attitudes towards homosexuality, it seems unlikely that
Jerome actually thought all "sodomites" died at the first Christmas.
Does anyone have a clue, then, about when and where this nasty legend
originated?
Megan
--
Megan McLaughlin
Associate Professor of History and Women's Studies