I would guess that it is an alternative spelling of
_horripilatio_ 'shuddering, trembling'; cf. _horripilare_
class. Lat. 'to bristle', med. Lat. 'to tremble' (see
Niermeyer). For the -b- spelling, cf. 'obpressus' cited in
K. P. Harrington's _Medieval Latin_.
Bella M.
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:48:16 -0500 Patrick Nugent
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Has any of you ever come across the (Latin) word "obripilatio"?  I can't
> make head nor tail of it nor find it in OLD or or Niermeyer.  It occurs in
> the context of a girl stricken suddenly with a seizure and afterward
> rendered hysterical.   While working in the garden, she has just fallen to
> the ground:
>
> "Tum quoque, cum subita obripilatione, tremor membrorum continuus illi
> exstitit."
>
>  I can provide more context if you like.  My best guess is that the author
> has contructed it from "repello", so that it would connote being struck a
> blow, but it seems an awfully inflated word, and the spelling is bizarre.
> (This comes from a miracle collection from AASS, which in the volume I'm
> using is usually pretty careful to comment on, or to standardize, bizarre
> orthography.)  Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks,
>

> Patrick Nugent.
>

> __________________________________