The following is taken from a flyer which reached me this morning. The
deadline for proposals for papers is rather tight, but it may still
interest some of of you.

Rupert

Sheffield Hallam University in collaboration with Sheffield Galleries and
Museums Trust and the Victoria and Albert Museum

Conference Announcement and Call for Papers
One-Day Conference - May 24th 2001

'Precious: Objects and Changing Values'

The conference will mark and celebrate the opening of the Millennium
Galleries in Sheffield and its first exhibition. The Millennium Galleries
have been developed in association with the Victoria and Albert Museum and
will provide a national showcase for the visual arts, craft and design.

The inaugural exhibition will display over 200 principal pieces from the
Victoria and Albert Museum. The exhibition will form part of the agenda of
the conference and the exhibits, from the 4th century B.C. to the present
day, will provide the evidence which drives the conference debates. The
conference is intended to explore issues arising from objects judged to be
precious. Many things drive the notion of preciousness: cultural
associations, the market place, craftsmanship, originality, provenance, and
taste. The list is potentially endless and we are looking for contributions
that will respond in as many ways as possible.

The conference will be structured in three parallel strands dealing with
issues that arise from perceptions of material value; skills and aesthetic
expression; cultural resonance. We anticipate that these strands will
stimulate interdisciplinary debate.

We hope you will be interested in attending the conference as a delegate or
speaker. Proposals for papers should address the issues provoked by the
notion of preciousness. The closing date for submission is January 8th 2001.

For conference information, please mail or email name and address to: Rose
Cooper or Elizabeth Norman, School of Cultural Studies, Sheffield Hallam
University, Psalter Lane, Sheffield S11 8UZ

Rose Cooper             +44-(0)114 225 2619             [log in to unmask]
Elizabeth Nonnan        +44-(0)114 225 2678             [log in to unmask]
Fax                     +44-(0)114 225 2749
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/conference

Proposals for papers (abstracts of about 500 words) should be sent to the
above address as soon as possible but at the latest by January 8th 2001.

We welcome delegates and proposals for papers from a range of interests and
disciplines. We would be grateful if you would forward this email to any
interested colleague.

Rose Cooper and Elizabeth Norman

Rupert Shepherd
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Material Renaissance Project
Sussex Centre for Research in the History of Art
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QN, U.K.
Tel. +44 (0)1273 872544     Fax +44 (0)1273 678644
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/arthist/matren/