I feel we have to tread a line between protecting our users and ourselves, and
respecting the anonimity of individuals, whilst making best use of the limited
and expensive technology we're implementing, free of charge to users, and
demonstrating to the powers-that-be that we're providing "Best Value".

We couldn't (arguably?) do that (effectively) with hard copy reference material,
but put it on a network, and the funders start asking for usage figures to
justify the spend.

I'm with Martin and Duncan, in that I'm not interested in tracking individuals,
only managing limited resources and proving their worth - We're not a police
state (thank goodness!).

I think that this *is* reconcilable, or to use Management-Speak, we can have a
"Win-Win" - use of "One-Time" ("One-Day?) only logins, ID's, smartcards, or
whatever technical gubbins is appropriate, allocated can give access to casual,
non-registered users, so we can all be happy bunnies (it *is* Easter, this
weekend, isn't it?...)

Happy Christmas,

John

John Usher          "I'd rather be Flying!"
ICT Development Librarian
Islington Library & Information Service
Education Department
Central Library
2 Fieldway Crescent
LONDON N5 1PF

Tel: +44 (0)20 7527 6920
Fax: +44 (0)20 7527 6926
Switchboard: +44 (0)20 7527 6900
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.islington.gov.uk/libraries

Warning! This email may be read by others in the owner's absence