Many thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Lest it be
thought that I wish to implement a police state, I think I'd better clear
the air a little; what I should have put as a heading, perhaps, was
"monitoring use of public networked terminals".

We need to monitor usage, in order that we may organise the provision in
such a way as to deliver best use of the resource - what percentage of use
is for internet access, for word-processing... etc.

However, we also need to address what Mike Maguire terms "probity of usage".
Like Duncan Westlake, I shouldn't want "archiving of logs for future police
inspection"; but, I'm sure no-one would condone "inappropriate usage" of a
public internet access point. As long as any would-be visitor to an
inappropriate site is aware that his/her visit can be traced, then we'll
have some hope of preventing misuse of the internet. If someone can receive
a custodial sentence for downloading inappropriate internet files in the
privacy of his own home, then we as public librarians should not offer
anything which amounts to a cloak of anonymity. As Edward Barrow points out,
consultation of print media is totally anonymous; but, print media, as
stored in most public libraries, takes the form of licit publications.

Regards,

Alun
Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'i bwriedir ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Gall gynnwys gwybodaeth freintiedig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei gopïo, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu â'r Cyngor ar unwaith.
Mae unrhyw gynnwys nad yw'n ymwneud â busnes swyddogol Cyngor Gwynedd yn personol i'r awdur ac nid yw'n awdurdodedig gan y Cyngor.
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named recipient only. The content may contain privileged information. If it has reached you by mistake, you should not copy, distribute or show the content to anyone and please contact Gwynedd Council at once.
Any content that is not pertinent to Gwynedd Council business is personal to the author, and is not necessarily the view of the Council.