Thank you, Charles. I will send this on.
Eileen

>>> "Reitzel, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]> 12/13/00 04:42PM >>>
Hi Eileen,

As you know, ISO-8061 uses CCYY-MM (e.g. 2000-12) to represent the whole
month as a time duration. This will be appropriate for use in any DC element
where a whole day time duration (CCYY-MM-DD) would also be appropriate.
Display for human consumption is a "presentation" issue.

To this end, it is often convenient to simply use a day value of 1 (i.e. the
1st day of the month in question) and use the result complete date as input
to whatever date printing utilities you are using.  Typically, these use a
format string in combination w/ the current locale to display the date in
any number of formats: "Dec, 2000", "12/2000", "December 2000", etc.
Examples include the "strftime" standard C library routine and w3.org's
"TimeFormatter" Java utility class.

For a few reasons, there are unlikely to be strong standards in this area:
1) Locale variation, 2) application requirements (e.g. saving space on
screens and reports) and 3) date library variation.  The important thing is
to store the actual date values in a language and application neutral format
so that the required output format is possible.

Note that none of this takes into account data entry.  Date parsing is more
complicated.  Typically, people want to entry things like "3/99" for
"1999-03" or "3p" for "15:00:00-5:00", etc.  Again, locale, application and
library variations will all come into play.

I'm sure you are familiar with most of these issues, but this is my take on
it.

regards,
Charles Reitzel