I ask for comments reluctantly as I expect many may not wish to see this
topic aired too often. We are coming under considerable pressure to take over
supervision of an MIU which has previously been under the care of General
Surgeons. Based on the present attendances we find this hard to justify. If
as has been suggested the unit is staffed by ENP's I would be gratful to know:

    is there any guidance on the issue of children attending such a unit - as
compared to them attending an A/E dept.?

    do / should ENP's treat eye injuries including corneal injuries?

    do ENP's treat all types of hand injuries? I have been told that in some
instances protocols have excluded hand injuries? What about hand injuries in
children?

    I presume all forms of penetrating injuries to limbs would be excluded -
? correct.

    do / should ENP's assess head injuries including those sustained by
children?

    what is the experience of immediate referral rates from ENP staffed
MIU's? I am     informed that the overall referral rate can be 30 - 50%. This
will depend of course on    protocols I know.

    is there a critical workload at which such a unit is viable?

I am aware of the BAEM document on this. I do appreciate any comments,
regards,
Charlie Fee
Craigavon,
N.Ireland