A bit of a weird one.

I was med reg at an EMD-arrest last week.  We had great difficulties
getting iv access (not least by absence of anything other than a sparse
array of venflons on the resus trolley).  Nothing other than fingernails to
attempt a cutdown.  Our working diagnosis was EMD secondary to hypovolaemia
(although other H's and T's of EMD considered).

I was somewhat taken aback when the ICU boffin popped a short, fat one
(jelco) in the patient's, ahem, short fat one (penis) and ran some
haemacell in (without luck - subsequent autopsy confirmed a large AAA).

Is the intracorporeal route valid?  I've since seen a few abstracts on
corpus cavernosum IV fluid replacement in dogs, but this was the first time
I've seen it in action so to speak.

Has anyone else had experience of same?  More pertinently, next time I'm in
the resus room, can I have a bash at this or will I get my ass sued?  Can't
wait to have a go with the next (male) trauma and see the look on my boss's
face!

Comments welcome.

Tim Leeuwenburg
Flinders Medical Centre