>From: Adrian Fogarty <[log in to unmask]>

>What do you mean by "wake them up"? Using verbal, or painful, stimulation
>"waken" a sedated patient only leads to that false sense of security we
>discussed earlier i.e. once you stop the stimulation they drift back into
>deep sedation when your back's turned. By all means assess a patient's
>depth
>of sedation by using stimuli, but the stimulus itself will not make the
>drug
>wear off any quicker. Or do you mean using the antidote?

---> Wake them up by talking to them. I do not sedate them any deeper than
that. This is completely aside from the fact that I always ensure we have
enough means to observe them actively, no matter how deeply sedated they are
or were. If we cannot observe, we do not sedate.

BUT, if the observing nurse can see, from where she is, that the patient is
sitting up and talking to friends, she would not, at that very time, be
concerned about his resps. That's all I meant