I am at last compelled to write to the list, as this subject is one that is
often discussed and appears seldom understood!

Any acute injury, including shoulder dislocation, requires analgesia - in an
ideal world, this would be titrated intravenously, but this is often not
very practical in our time-pressured world. Simple im pethidine in adequate
dosage (our SHOs usually use homeopathic doses!) suffice.

The point I want to make is that the reduction should cause no additional
pain if you use the correct technique. Kocher described his technique in a
classic anatomically based paper in 1870 (I have the reference somewhere,
with a translation from the classical German). He stressed then that there
must be no traction. It is sad that subsequent descriptions of his technique
have misquoted him (as with GCS, Duke's classification, and many others) and
most orthopaedic texts have inserted traction! The real technique was
rediscovered by two orthopaedic surgeons writing in Bone and Joint in about
1989. I have used the technique with great success since. The essence is
that it takes 10 mins or so to very slowly move the limb through the range
described by Kocher. The reduction is often so smooth that you doubt it is
reduced until you re-examine! Many recurrent dislocators are terrified of
what you will do to them (based on their past experience) and you have to be
very patient. It is very rare to require any sedation or additional
analgesia. Use the proper technique (not applicable to anterior dislocations
with # of labrum or greater tuberosity)!

With regard to sedation, if you read the product insert with midazolam, it
states you should use small doses incrementally (0.75-1.5mg) and wait for an
effect for at least 2 mins before giving more. This way you will avoid the
oversedated patient and any requiremtent for flumazenil. I have personally
performed about 2000 procedures under sedation with midazolam and have never
needed to use an antidote. I once saw an orthopaedic surgeon inject a bolus
of 20mg midazolam into an old man - the subsequent anaesthesia, with apnoea,
did allow easy reduction! He then reversed the effect with flumazenil and
left! Not a technique to be recommended!

Sorry for the lengthy first offering!

Philip Belsham
A&E consultant
Royal Free Hospital.