CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

WITTGENSTEIN'S LASTING SIGNIFICANCE

Gregynog, University of Wales Conference Centre, near Newtown,
mid-Wales

14-16 July 2001

Wittgenstein was undoubtedly a major figure in philosophy's last
hundred years. But quite how innovative was his philosophical vision?
Taking the opportunity of commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of
his death, we wish to reflect on whether Wittgenstein permanently
altered the philosophical landscape or whether he was a brilliant
thinker whose ideas could be assimilated within existing philosophical
traditions. We have invited independently minded philosophers, whose
own work shows attention to and an understanding of Wittgenstein's
ideas, to appraise his lasting significance in their respective
fields.

List of speakers: Simon Blackburn, James Conant, Paul Horwich,
John
Searle, Pirmin Stekeler, Peter Sullivan, Crispin Wright.

The conference will run from Saturday, 14th July in the afternoon
until Monday, 16th July after lunch. Full board is guaranteed to cost
no more than 51 pounds per night (there is a possibility that this may
be reduced). There will be reductions for graduate students.

Registration details to follow soon.

For further enquiries please contact either:

Bernhard Weiss
Department of Philosophy
University of Wales, Lampeter

or

Max Kölbel
Faculty of Philosophy
Cambridge University

Scottish Postgraduate Philosophy Association
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_sppa/

Scot-pg-phil mailing-list information and archives:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/scot-pg-phil.html

Mail to list: [log in to unmask]
Mail to caretaker: [log in to unmask]