>The fourth Postgraduate Latin American Studies (PILAS) Annual Conference
will be taking place on 16th December at the University of Wolverhampton.
All students (under-graduate and graduate research) of Latin American, or
related studies are warmly invited to attend. Below  you will find:

>1.A copy of the programme. A copy is also attached for you to print-off an
advertise around your departments.
>2. Registration Form
>3. Access Information
>		*****
>1.
>Postgraduate Latin American Studies (PILAS) Fourth Annual Conference
>
>Saturday 16th December 2000: University of Wolverhampton
>
>Provisional Programme
>

>10:00-11:00 	Registration
>

>11:00-12:30  Politics
>
>1. Sebastien Ardouin: University of Bradford
>"Inter-Party Relations and Democracy in Argentina 1983-1998"
>
>2. Mo Hume: University of Liverpool
>"A Violent peace?  Reflections from El Salvador"
>
>3. Zenen Santana-Delgado: University of Durham
>Cuba -a revolutionary state- and its relationship with the International
>Society and the United States
>

>12:30-13:30	Lunch
>

>13:30-15:30: Economics and Development (Parallel Session)
>
>1. Andrea Oelsner:  LSE.
>'Mercosur as a security community'
>
>2. Amaury Hoste: University of Birmingham
>"Creating a Mercosur Regional Development Fund: Why and how?"
>
>3. Laura Gomez Mera: Oxford University
>"The Political Economy of the Auto Industry Crisis in MERCOSUR"
>
>4. Mar Rubio: LSE
>"Resource-Led Growth Failure: Faulty Policies and Misleading Performance
Indicators: A Proposition

>13:30-15:30: Caribbean Literature (Parallel Session)
>
>1.Par Kumaraswami: University of Wolverhampton
>" Her Father's Daughter: Self Construction and autobiographical tradition
in Alina Fernandez's ' Alina: Memorias de la hija rebelde de Fidel' "

>2. Odile Ferly: University of Bristol
>"Africa in Women's Fiction from the French Caribbean and Cuba"
>
>3. Jill Ingham: University of Wolverhampton
>"Fact or fiction: El acoso by Alejo Carpentier"
>
>4. Carlos Uxo: University of Dublin
>Literature and Afrocuban Identity (title to be confirmed)
>
>15:30-15:45: Tea/Coffee Break
>

>15:45-17:15: Culture and Society in Latin America
>
>1.Alexandra Arellano: University of Lancaster
>" Staging Authenticity: The Backstage of the Inca Festival of the Sun"
>
>2. Anne-Marie Smith: University of Liverpool
>"Children's rights in Mexico and Venezuela"
>
>3. Tanja Bastia: University of Wales (unconfirmed)
>"On gender and migration in the Andes"
>

>17:30-18:00	PILAS AGM
>

>18:00-Late: Pub and more
>

>2.
>
>PILAS Conference
>16th December 2000, University of Wolverhampton
>

>Attendance to this Conference is free but we would like you to register
Please fill in the following form and return via email to:

>Surname:_________
>First Name:________
>Departmental Address:________________
>Tel. No: _______________
>Email:_________________
>Research Interests:_________________
>
>3.
>Direct train services leave for Wolverhampton from Glasgow, Liverpool,
Manchester and London Euston. Frequent services run between Birmingham New
Street and Wolverhampton (20mins). For further access information and a
maps, see:

>Campus Map (pdf format):
>http://www.wlv.ac.uk/its/sitemaps/pdf/wolverhampton.pdf
>
>3D map of campus:
>http://www.wlv.ac.uk/its/sitemaps/south_campus.jpg
>
>For those travelling by Train:
>On arrival to Wolverhampton, leave the train station and cross the bridge
over the dual carriageway, past the bus station on your left. This will
take you to Lichfield Street. Walk to the next traffic lights and turn
right onto Stafford Street with The Varsity pub on the left hand side and
the hogshead on your right. The road entrance is situated on your left
about 100 yards from this point. As you stand at the entrance, the MB Block
is the building on your right. Walk around it until you see a blue door.