Dear Susanne,

Rather than deviationists, the nuns may have been simply remiss in their
duties, nor particularly ready to go back to regular observance. These
faults may not have been so minor if the visitor, after noting that 'the
convent of nuns has become lax in the observance of the rule, although
no major excesses were found and all submitted to the visitor'
immediately adds that 'some burdens of divine worship have been eased
and it is hoped [he cautiously leaves himself out of the picture] that
the undertaking will prosper on account of the zeal and discretion of
the abbess.' This sounds like compromise to me - the nuns promised
obedience in exchange for partial release from their liturgical duties.
But the situation was far from settled, if the visitor relied on the
abbess' qualities for a continued improvement. Furthermore - and here I
tread on unknown ground, because I am not a religious, but perhaps some
Benedictine will correct me if I am wrong - the liturgy (Mass and Divine
Office) is central to the Benedictine rule. Thus, to excuse the nuns
from liturgical worship would be like telling the Dominicans that they
really don't need to preach, or to the Templars that they need not
defend the Holy Land, or to Mother Teresa's nuns that they don't have to
tend the sick. Cheers, Luciana
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario
e-mail:	[log in to unmask]